Friday, May 22, 2009

Upward Over the Mountain...a Mother's Day Gift


My son and I frequently exchange songs instead of cards and letters. Somehow the songs seem to say so much more at times.! This song was my Mothers Day gift. I am so very proud of my son, though we do not always agree, which also makes me proud that he is flying on his own. From his determination to be an Eagle Scout, to his nomination to the Naval Academy, to his decision to serve his country in the Navy when he did not get his appointment to the Academy, he has always striven to better himself and the situations around him. There is a wild side to him, but he is ever the empathetic creature who's heart can be touched by the simplest things.
I wanted to share this song with you....You can find it in my music box on the right...No. 9.....

Upward Over the Mountain by Iron and Wine

Mother don't worry, I killed the last snake that lived in the creek bed
Mother don't worry, I've got some money I saved for the weekend
Mother remember being so stern with that girl who was with me?
Mother remember the blink of an eye when I breathed through your body?

So may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten
Sons are like birds, flying upward over the mountain

Mother I made it up from the bruise on the floor of this prison
Mother I lost it, all of the fear of the Lord I was given
Mother forget me now that the creek drank the cradle you sang to
Mother forgive me, I sold your car for the shoes that I gave you

So may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten
Sons could be birds, taken broken up to the mountain

Mother don't worry, I've got a coat and some friends on the corner
Mother don't worry, she's got a garden we're planting together
Mother remember the night that the dog had her pups in the pantry?
Blood on the floor, fleas on their paws,
And you cried 'til the morning

So may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten
Sons are like birds, flying always over the mountain

1 comment:

  1. what a wonderful tradition to exchange songs... you're son is an exceptional and well loved young man... with you as his mom, what else would he be??

    love your whole playlist it's been playing in the background since last night

    ReplyDelete